Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2013

On to the North Shore

It rained over night just to show us what the next week is supposed to be like here in the belle province. The ride through Rimouski on hwg. 132 was foggy and cool (noted as COLD by one member of the team).

We had made reservations for the afternoon ferry from Trois Pistoles to Les Escoumins that would put us on the "Heritage" at 3pm and landing around 5pm (late because of a rough river crossing and docking in high waves). The crew was timing the exit of each car with the rise and fall of the ferry deck in relation of the ramp to the dock decking! Once we undid the bikes tie down straps
they left me to do my own timing on exit. Interesting process when sitting aboard only two wheels. :)
I should have taken another photo to show all the additional tie downs the crew added during the crossing. (This picture was taken as we just got under way across the St. Lawrence.)

No whale sightings during the crossing, however, we enjoyed the company and conversation of a retired couple, who were on bicycles. Interesting pair, well traveled and very friendly.

Pulled into a gas stop to top up and while I was in "the toilette" the skies opened up! Cold wind and much water in a very short period of time! We would not be riding to Chicoutimi  tonight (still several hours away); so we checked into a local motel, hung things up to dry and went to supper.

Gayle's addition: COLD means 3 layers of merino wool under my motorcycle jacket, merino wool tights and knee socks, merino wool buff pulled up over my chin! Only my arms and hands were really cold but the cold rain made me nervous. Didn't think we should set off for 2 hours through sparsely populated area in case I didn't stay dry. Ten degrees along the windy, wet ocean is not equal to 10 degrees standing still in the sun. I wonder what the wind chill factor was. Ferry ride was exciting though. 

4 comments:

  1. Timing the vehicles disembarking to the waves - you two just went straight for the craziness! I was pretty surprised to read about the waves but only see one tie down, so I'm glad they added more.

    Wool retains ~80% of its insulating value when wet, don't worry about it. I kid. It's one thing to get when on the way home when you have dry clothes. It's another thing entirely on a trip like this your stuff might not dry out over night, and it's no fun putting on wet clothes in the morning. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it easy to time your exit from the ferry? That would have made me nervous on the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did the mom stay on e bike while you alighted from the ferry or did she time her own leap across?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I walked off the ferry, not too much leaping required.

      Delete