Pages

Thursday 27 June 2013

Trois Rivieres

Waited out some rain until10:30am then made the decision to mount up and head to Quebec City. Grey cool day that would take it's time getting warmer. Gayle had me dial up ambient temperature on the bike's digital display screen and leave it there for today's ride. The warmest it got all day was 19 on the ride into Trois Rivieres on highway 138. (We began the day at 10 degrees and drizzle.)

An hour's stop for lunch on the west side of Quebec City to allow us to get out of the relentless wind was a welcome break to the four lane riding on 175 south from Chicoutimi; especially closer to the city with the increased truck traffic. Highway 40 is just as crazy as highway 20 on the south shore of the 
St. Lawrence. We took it to get to the city's edge before following the big river's coast road 138 "sud-est."

Gayle took a fancy to this "late" Ford Model T during a break on a dock, in Batiscan.


Do you think she might prefer 4 wheels to 2, on these windy days?

I would recommend taking this ride to anyone who is travelling between Quebec City and Trois Rivieres         or visa versa. So much more scenic and relaxing than highway 40. Farming country and quaint villages
provide the eye with something engaging each kilometre of the way.

Gayle: I stayed warm enough, but only because I had a total of 8 layers around my middle. Makes getting on the bike interesting. Saw some beautiful country.

3 comments:

  1. Eight layers? That must have been all the clothes you brought with you. Was you're pannier empty? A little while from now you'll be baking in the badlands of the praries, thinking of those cozy good ol' days in Quebec; back when you could get comfortable just by putting on layers, but when the heat comes there won't be enough layers you can take off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For future reference: Lifa underwear is light, warm and wicks away sweat. Made of polypropelene and available at most hiking/camping stores. Worn with a windbreaker shell it might do the trick. However, I have a feeling you might be heading into hot hot hot! But you might need it come September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I've ever worn 8 layers on me anywhere in my life. I'm glad you were at least mostly warm! Keep the pics coming, Dad! I love them all. :D

    ReplyDelete